View Single Post
Old 04-01-2002, 01:22 PM

Default Re: HISTORIC! Cohan971Wearing Down QuadNines on RG

Tom,

You wrote: [b[“I hold the view that it's good to have skeptics.[/b]

I agree.

”In fact your recent post about the pair of jacks had some excellent discussion IMO that were skeptical of Mason's and Sklansky's advice. I did think the discussion was far better on this forum regarding that hand BTW. I'm still mulling that hand over in my mind.”

There were some good comments on RGP also. In fact, it prompted me to download the newsreader Forte Agent (I had been using Free Agent).

”Quadnines and many others have disagreed with the advice regarding the T9s hand in HFAP. I know I've benifitted a great deal from the discussion.”

Me too. In fact, I enjoy the forum far more than actually playing poker!

”An excellent player has confided with me that he believes the advice in the book is excellent regarding that play. BTW I'm still mulling that hand over in my mind.”

Which play? Are you speaking of the infamous T9 hand or my recent post on the pair of jacks?

”Now the hand regarding A2 has produced more excellent discussion so I can't see where Quadnines is hurting anything.”

I agree he often generates excellent discussion. I think this Agent newsreader allows you to auto-flag and download posts from certain newsgroup posters. QuadNines will go on this list.

”I think it's fair to Quadnines to say that he disagrees with the approach to teaching poker that is utilized in HFAP and TOP.

That is fair for sure.

”If you look at the problems that he has written about in the aggregate has he really done any thing to substantially discredit these books? Have the discussions that ensued benefitted players? Have the discussions that ensued benefitted 2+2? IMO the answers are no, yes, yes.

I agree.

”I don't have the patience that others have in making meticulous arguments about strategy.

I think you have loads of patience and make great arguments! Please post more.

”I'm glad others do though and I think people that read these posts are aware of biases and quit reading the threads when they feel they have strayed from the original topic.”

Well said. Were we disagreeing about something?

BTW, in a later thread I started on "Counterintuitive Play BTF and On the Turn" I wrote that I'd be the first to buy a Mark Glover book, if he ever wrote one. I meant that.

But this guy Cohan971 (BTW, this is a new poster or a new handle for an old poster - on Google he/she only shows up recently) seems to be just as meticulous and far more logical than Mark/QuadNines. His ability to stick with the argument and find flaws in Mark's logic seems to have Mark reeling.

BTW, I just reread that portion of the thread and I’m pretty sure I know who Cohan971 is. (Hint: He used to post about strategy on 2+2 all the time.)

Regards,

Rick