View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: I got berated for this play - PLO hand

I couldn't agree more that the preflop call shouldn't have been made, but at the flop I still think the paramount goal should be to get all in. You don't want to be on the turn with only a draw when the pot is large and the money deep, it is so seldom a favorite and cannot withstand heavy betting. Hit it when you are the favorite. This is covered, by the way, in Ciaffone's and Reuben's PL/NL book, if you want to see more.

Don't listen to people who talk about "draw" versus a "made" hand at Omaha. Consider a flop like T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Would you rather have a "made" hand like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], or be sitting there with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? Or T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? Omaha is a funny game where, especially with two cards to come, a drawing hand can be a favorite over a made hand. In fact, this can even happen at Holdem, although it is less common. Your admittedly reckless call at the flop was redeemed, as occasionally but not usually will happen, with an ideal flop where you had somewhere between 40 and 55% chance of completing, but where the odds drop dramatically on the turn if you don't hit. Most wraps don't hit the flop, you have to hit hard on the ones that do -- it's the entire reason you went into the hand as a known underdog.