View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Median Best Hand II: complication

Many very interesting points here. The one on folding anything but the median against "your" holdings is particularly interesting, I think, and would tend to suggest that the maximum stack-size by the current method we've gotten for this specific problem is going to be conservative.

For this direction of taking the median starting hand question (at least the way I've been going with it, and I think PTB concurs for this particular problem), we've gotten away somewhat from the question of "percentage chance your hand is best" (which is just one dimension of the problem, but how the hand holds up against superior hands is equally important, as well as how many superior hands there are).

Would you mind terribly checking through my "JJ" post in this thread (also the "A9s" post gives one example carried all the way through)? It kind of summarizes where I'm at, and I'm hoping PTB will check my math to that point before we continue further with it. But I'd be most interested in hearing your opinion as to the formulae I'm using.

At least from my point of view, all of this is likely only to give some "rules of thumb" for practical situations (involving a number of non-mathematical aspects), but I think I'm pretty much happy with the way the problem is set up now and would really like to hear any potential critique before grinding out a bunch of numbers (with the danger of having to do it all again if there are some valid objections that would allow improvements on the mathematical model). The SB/BB issue pointed out by PTB earlier is definitely already a slight imprecision, but I really don't think that's going to matter a whole lot when it comes down to the math of the thing (I suspect that having some inferior hands call would actually drive the stack-size up a little).

If you find the JJ post completely incomprehensible at this point, I'll be glad to fill in any details--if you could at least let me know what type of details are making it difficult to understand.