View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Median Best Hand Part II: A9s

Well, fortunately I was able to get back to this sooner than I expected.

After seeing what the variables were, I figured it would be easiest to just throw in the little pairs as favorites against A9s and recalculate that one for all numbers of players 3-9. So, I set up a spreadsheet that will do most of the math for any hand, just filling in a few values. I wish someone could check my math here, as with the "improved" formula I do get a significant discrepancy for stack-size in comparison to my previous calculation: For 9 players, I come up with a stack of 3.14 times pot this time on A9s. I've double and triple-checked everything myself, though, on this, so I'm fairly confident it's right.

Anyhow, here are the results for maximum stack-size on A9s for various numbers of players:

9: 3.14
8: 3.80
7: 4.67
6: 5.91
5: 7.79
4: 10.94
3: 17.26

So, one might say that A9s actually starts more frequently becoming attractive for an all-in (in the given tournament shortstack situation)at button-3. It's more than adequate for shortstack situations when folded to you on the button.

I'll run through and post some results for further hands as I do them. The only real legwork now is just running through pokerstove all of the hands superior to the given hand.