View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: I\'m sorry but I just have to ask . . .

I think it is very rare to have all these callers to a raise and a re-raise. You would "routinely" see one or no callers facing 2 bets and likely three. With all those callers, you have to assume there is one or two bigger pocket pairs out there. That reduces your pot odds tremendously.

The "lucid argument for folding" is that you'll miss the flop and fold 88% of the time and lose a big pot to Straights, Flushes and bigger Sets 25% of the time you hit your set. This only leaves you with about 9% to work with to justify calling two more bets.

If you go to the odds calculator at Cardplayer.com you can put in five players (max) and if you put in your 33 against an AK, QQ, JTs and 67s, you would find that you are only 16% to win. It's worse if there is another pair out there (14%). The only time you are the favorite is when they all hold each other's cards - hey, it happens!

I think there are other hands that can give you a much better expected value. Of course, many poker players are action junkies and find a lot of value in the thrill of trying to buck the odds and win a big pot. These, obviously, are the players you want at your table.