Thread: table selection
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: table selection

I am not joking and I am also not saying that it works the same for all players, but for myself it works out this way. Here is an example oh and by the way, yes I am a low limit player.

Awhile back when I was playing .50/$1 Limit I decided to see which was more profitable for me. I had figured tighter was paying better but wanted to recheck it. I took the last 60 sessions I had played, which covered thousands of hands albeit less than 10k hands which I know is standard. Anyway it so happened Poker Tracker showed me I had played exactly half those sessions on tables that had 30% or more seeing the flop and the other half with less than 30 % seeing the flop.

My profit at the sessions where 30% or more saw the flop was 5 big bets. My profit on the tables where LESS than 30% saw the flop was 95 big bets. Since the sessions were exactly 50% one way and 50% the other this told me a lot about what style suits me best. I am aggressive preflop and postflop and bluffs were often successful. Many preflop raises went unchallenged and I found I could basically push people around. I had always heard that loose tables was where the money was to be made so imagiine my shock when I found just the opposite for me was becoming reality.

Poker Edge has the following stats on me. I have been playing on Poker Stars since May 2005. before that I used to play exclusively at Pokerroom

starlitecst [Stars]
Big Bets Won / 100 hands 5.17
VP$IP 21.69
PreFlop Raise% 9.18
PostFlop Aggression 1.95
Cold Call% 3.23
Blind Steal Attempt% 32.94
Fold Small Blind to Steal% 83.33
Fold Big Blind to Steal% 64.71
Went to Showdown if Flop Seen% 27.01
Showdown Win% 56.44

Overall 5.17bb/100 hands won. I must be doing something right. Then I found the following article by Lou Krieger and I have pasted the link and pasted the section of the article I found the most intriguing. I think applies to the theory of tight vs Loose tables.

http://www.thebankrollbuilder.com/Po...ve%20games.htm

If you can't live with with this degree of instability, or if your bankroll won't sustain extreme fluctuations, the very best tip I can offer is to play in games that are not as loose, and not as aggressive. If you are a winning player, you'll eventually make just as much money. Although it will take more time to accomplish, less of your bankroll will be placed in jeopardy in stable games. And when you're playing on a short bankroll, the most important thing you can do is keep yourself in action. That means protecting your bankroll at all costs.

Well that's my story. Maybe I could do better than 5bb/100 hands at looser tables, but I think that's a pretty good number as it is and with less fluxuation at the tighter tables than the looser ones, I think I'll keep things going as they are.