View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Show me a good bluff....PLEASE!

Since he won't bother, I will - I do this sort of thing often.

If someone is raising preflop >10% of the time; if someone is auto-betting every flop, and; if someone is checking the turn if they've missed the flop, I will call preflop having made the decision in advance to bluff call the flop some % of the time (and i bluff raise some %, too) and bet the turn. If they fire twice a high enough % of the time that their hand range consists of relatively few hands that can call a raise I will start bluff raising the turn some % of the time, too (whether I follow through on the river depends largely on the hand range I assign them after they call my raise and the river card!). Things like this make a big difference when playing shorthanded. Preflop and on the flop you're jostling over small pots and setting up larger ones. Make sure you win enough of the small pots that you aren't automatically donating money to aggressive preflop/flop players by calling their raises and folding if you miss. It is also easier to setup larger pots where your hand range(s) has/have a significant edge over your opponent's when they are drawing erroneous conclusions about what you're likely to be holding based on limited information (and poor reasoning skills, of course), something almost every opponent is prone to doing. Manipulate your hand ranges. Make them interact with your opponent's so that you have an edge. That's the game.

This is all you're getting out of me. There's more to think about against sophisticated opponents and when it comes to turn/river bluffs. Maybe some other time.