View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Doyle Brunson

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bear ... I am not taking anything away from Doyle Brunson, when it comes to having an interesting life or being one of the best pokerplayers ever

Just mentioning that he squeezing his name to make a profit on not so great books ... and actually I respect him for that, isn't that what poker is about, winning enormous pots with big bluffs ?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

At least his book are not as bad as Phil Helmuths ... (can't stop laughing that rubbercell inmate laughter ... mhoo ho ha ha hi ho ... my God .. )

Tell me Bear, did you enjoy the chapter on online poker in Supersystem II ?? (That was a good one, a 40 pages commercial for Doylesroom.com ... which again compares easily to Helmuths endless ramblings on what a great site UB is .. hmm .. maybe they should write a book together and and get Caro to write the preface ... WE ARE ALL IN .. The Helmuth and Brunson way ... just sigh here, and you WILL be playing like the pro's TEXAS STYLE !!!)

And again just so there is no misunderstandings ... The chapters on hold'em in Supersystem I are great ... Supersystem I as a whole is a great read ... and parts of Superssystem II are also very good (Todd Brunsons bit on Stud/8 for example)

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I think Doyle's my favorite poker player I must agree that super/system 2 is almost identical to super/system 1, well at least the NL hold em part is anyways. Caro's part was useful to a beginner like I was when I first read that book. After reading 10 books I definiltey would not recommend super/system 2. The most disgusting fact is that I remember Doyle is quoted somewhere saying that Super/System 2 is not meant to be a newer, more extensive edition of super/system 1(and it isn't even that), but its a second volume all in itself and a continuation of super/system1, in other words, buy1, then buy 2. I do think Caro's an amazing writer in poker though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want Doyle to write a new section on NL when he said in the book he thought about how much the game has changed over the years, and realized there wasn't anything to change. Also, you said that you don't need SS2 if you have the original. Tell me, where was Omaha high and Triple Draw covered in the original? Basically, the second book introduces games that are played today, and updated only what was required.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing, the first book costs 30$ USD, the second book costs 35$ USD (and believe me, up here in canada they're significantly more expensive 35% or so). Doyle says one should own both books as SS2 is a continuation of SS1, this is clearly [censored]. Yes, its true that there's triple draw and omaha high now in the second book, but does that mean I have to pay 125% more on than the first book for about 15% more information? And for most people, there's about 2% more information(Caro's stuff, which can be seen at his website for free and in much greater detail) since very few players play these two games. Also, SS books offer some valuable advice but they themselves are clearly not anywhere close to a comprehensive strategy guide of anything. So if you needed advice on these two games you'd be well advised to buy whole books specialized on them.
Again, as much as Doyle's my favorite player, his second book is BY FAR the biggest waste of money ever. (for me the first cuz i bought the second one first and he said they're different in there) - and I'm one of those ppl who believe if you learn one thing from a poker book it pays for itself, this one certainly wont.