View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Ability to Predict a Players Skill based on Intelligence.

M'kay. Found an old powerpoint presentation that summarized the study. Understand that the stats are a bit weaker owing to the restricted variance due to the rather limited subject pool, but what we found are that:

Full Scale IQ correlated to SAT-Verbal at .43, to SAT-Math at .50, and to ACT at .72.

Note that while a correlation of .50 sounds big, what it means is that 25% of the variance in IQ scores are represented in the SAT scores. That means the other 75% ain't explained by the SAT.

There was a predictably stronger correlation between "Verbal IQ" and SAT-Verbal (.60), whereas Performance IQ was correlated with SAT-Verbal and SAT Math, r= about .41 in both cases.

Breaking things up by gender, the correlation between SATs and IQ was stronger among women than men.

I can't find anyplace where I wrote down the findings with the "Processing Speed" and "Working Memory" indexes of the WAIS, but I think they'd be interesting with respect to poker.

Then again, little of this post has anything to do with poker, so much as it's directed at the alleged use of SAT as a predictor of IQ.