View Single Post
Old 09-05-2001, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Where I am in poker and life... (LONG)

Where you are sounds familiar. I was a 21 year old philosophy major who liked poker not all that long ago. In the archives you might be able to find a post by Wannabe Pro from a few months ago - I don't poke around the archives. He was in a similar position to yours and got a lot of responses. I will tell you some similar things. Get Schoonmaker's book and assess why you play poker. Disregard what that means about poker for a minute and see what it means for your life. See if your poker experience gives you any hints about what you might like out of life. Try to figure that out. In all likelihood, there is a better occupation for you than being a poker pro. For a few being a pro is a good way to live. For most it is not. I wish I had Schoonmaker's book then. I figured out a lot of what he says about why people play on my own, but having the book when I was 22 would have been better. I took some time between college and graduate work and spent some of it in Las Vegas. I had no bankroll and no real clue, so I poked around at the lower limits and didn't make any money. I worked as a prop for a brief time. I learned a lot in a short time despite not making any money, but I consider it tuition. I learned more about life than playing poker well, so it was well worth it.

Anyway, the things that drew me to poker are some of the same things that drew me into a more rewarding career than poker playing. I have made certain career choices that have traded dollars for other things, but I think I still make more than most middle-limit poker pros. Not many poker players could win in a year what I make, and I have done everything I can NOT to make money. (half kidding) But I play for much higher stakes in my job than I could playing poker. The challenges, pressures, thrills, and consequences involved in what I do are far greater than those found playing cards, even for very high stakes. Should I choose to go after more money at some point, I think I could do that. And I would then be making a whole lot more than most poker pros and would still be doing more important stuff.

It is normal to feel lost in your later college years. Particularly in a modern liberal arts academic setting. So first figure out what YOU like and want to do. Be really selfish about it and don't think in terms of other peoples' expectations. Then go after it. It probably isn't poker, but could be I suppose. That's easier said than done I realize, but life isn't always so easy as you are figuring out. As for playing, I noticed I had an easier time winning after figuring out what I wanted to do. I would play poker on vacation and be able to be detached and would play better. With no increase in knowledge or experience really.