View Single Post
Old 11-12-2004, 02:27 AM

Default Would You Play In This?

$100 buy in, no rebuy/add on with entire buy in going to prize pool. Field capped at 56 players, 8 tables of 7 to start, everyone at final table of 7 gets paid with the winner receiving around $2100.
I played in this the one other time they ran it. Only one other player at my table really knew what was going on and one other guy had played poker but not HE. Most players were there to network and 95% of them would have been hurt by Kerry returning the highest tax bracket to its previous level. I don't fit in that earnings category and had never played for more than a $50 buy in before but my BR can certainly take the $100 buy in. As I dealt the final table after I was knocked out I have a pretty good idea of the talent level there and none of the players were better than me. Some were equal but certainly not enough to fill the final table. My knock out came when I was dealt JT in the BB, saw the flop for no raise (J 3 T), check raised the button's 1/2 pot bet all in. He called instantly (putting 90% of his stack in when he had less than half in before my RR), showed me A 3 off. Turn was an A and I was gone in 49th and had the pleasure of seeing him ride my stack to the final table. I made a killing in the side games so it was a good evening for me overall.

The question comes with the blind structures. Start with T500 in chips, 5/10 blinds that DOUBLE every 15 minutes. I was knocked out in round 4 where the blinds were already 40/80 and we haven't even played an hour. I truly believe I was one of the 5 best players in the room and maybe the best player there. With at least half of the field being total fish with ZERO clue how to play is it worth it for me to take the gambool with the blind structure the way it is? Seems kinda crazy to put in nearly 25% of the initial stack size in blinds after only 45 minutes. Please help!