View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Trolls, shills, the magical fruit...(Long)

I had this vision the other day, it was kind of scary.

The setting: a trashed apartment in some random city. The kind of city that’s near things, but in the middle of nowhere. The kind of city where there’s one state college that any idiot can get into. We have the usual decorum… pizza boxes, empty cans of Milwaukee’s Best, I think you are starting to see what I am getting at. Gabyyyyyy is in her/his/its underwear flipping the channels on a rundown 16” television. All the sudden he/she/it gets a really goofy look on his/her/its face. Something just clicked in that two cylinder brain. Gabyyyyy sits up straight, grabs a pen and a notebook, then in a fit throws these things to the floor. Gabyyyyyy is up now, running, running, Gabyyyyy hasn’t run like this in days. Finally he/she/it makes it to the school library, where she/it/he hijacks the nearest computer.

Why the rush? What could be so important? Gabyyyyyy was in a hurry so that she/it/he could log on to twoplustwo.com, where it/she/he could click on the Internet forum sidebar, and make the following post:

Heading: I’ll use my miles card, I’ll use my miles card

Body: All these years and you never got a Capital One card?

Gabyyyyy closes Internet Explorer and smiles to itself/herself/himself with satisfaction. Another job well done.

End vision.

Begin rant.

“The Zoo” pretty much sucks right now. The troll level is at an all-time high, true entertainers like Granny Mae and Lorinda are all but gone. Syntax is the shilliest shill-shill shillshill I have ever seen and his one man barrage of zerorake posts is a cluster bomb of vomit that is being cleaned off the floor and spoon-fed into our throats.

Now without fairly aggressive moderation, you cannot stop a troll or a shill. A troll is an enigma of sorts. A troll, like most people, needs attention. However, a troll lacks the ability to be smart, funny, or helpful, therefore they resort to being annoying, ignorant, and/or racist. Without booting them one by one from the forum, and then continuing to boot all of their aliases, they can’t be stopped. I believe that twoplustwo needs to do some sort of IP level banning. I can’t stand dealing with Ryan_21’s racist bull[censored] every time his sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, ass gets drunk and wants to be noticed. I do not think that Gabyyyy should be banned. Gabyyyyy should be limited to one thread per day. In it she/it/he can post whatever he/she/it wants, and we can be saved some of the clutter. Gregorio should be banned. Eugeneel should be banned. There are others, the list is unnecessary.

Posters like Syntax should be booted with a flash. His neo-shill tactics set a dangerous precedent for a message board that doesn’t allow spam. Every new site that sees him getting away with this kind of trash now knows that they can try a similar campaign. If the zerorake stuff is allowed to continue, the future of the internet forum is similar to the fate of RGP.

The bottom line: This forum needs a moderator. Mat, if you’re up to it, you have some work to do.