View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Need to choose between Civ IV and AOE III...

[ QUOTE ]
I need a game to play over xmas break, since I have nothing else to do. I hear both games are great, but I have never played the Civ series, only Age, which I enjoyed a lot.

What game is better, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Civ is a lot more immersive and a much bigger time waster. The AI is very good and can keep you challenged as you move up in difficulty levels. However, the graphics are "nice", but they're nothing to write home about. Most of the game is spent "managing" your empire -- negotiating treaties, trading with other civs, constructing buildings to keep your people happy, deciding how to budget your money, etc... It is not a war game. It is an civilization management game.

AOE is a much better game graphically. There is more action in AOE as it is first and foremost a "war" game. Everything you do is centred around building up your army and defences. It is more action-packed and doesn't take as long to play. However, it isn't nearly as immersive and there aren't as many new levels of complexity to discover as you get better at the game.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I went and bought both when they came out, and haven't gotten tired of either one yet.