View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: What is people skills?

I think that I agree about some people cannot gain the same level of social interaction. Social skills are more than observation and exploitation. It's the returning of emotion and empathy that makes people connect. Some things can be taught. I was a total recluse in school, I left high school a year and ahalf early to start college. I couldn't walk up to anyone and speak a cohherant sentance, I couldn't look at someone for more than a few seconds, everything about my social interaction was garbled and messed up.

Thanks to being thrown out of my parents house into the dorms one year, and some therapy, I overcame the social retards. But I still don't think I am a "people person." I'm a good liar, a good pretender, but I hate the average idiot walking down the street. Being around people who are all talky and nice all the time get me down, I can't stand it. I wear headphones alot of the time at the poker room, but I leave them off. I like to hear what's going on around me, but don't want people to talk to me.

A people person isn't someone who can converse well, I think it's someone who wants to converse and have social interactions.