Thread: JJ preflop
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: JJ preflop

Without any reads, facing an UTG+1 3.5x bb, 3 hours into a high buy-in tournament, I think I might vote for a fold here.

Reraising preflop is the worst thing you can do, IMO. Any reraise will require you to commit nearly half your chips before you even know if your hand is best. If he has aces or kings, he may just recognize that you're trying to find out if he has those bullets or cowboys and just flatcall your raise. You won't find out any info. And could lose your whole stack.

If you flat call, flop an overpair, he has QQ+, you'll lose all/most of your chips. If you flat call, an overcard comes on the flop and you check, you can easily get bet out of the pot when you have the best hand. Only card you really want to see is a J. How happy will you be if the flop comes 9-6-2? You'll still have no clue as to whether you have the best hand. If he bets, you still have no clue. If he's a good opponent, he'll almost certainly bet if you check to him. I think you can fold here, unless you want to play for set value, but I don't think you have the implied odds for that, since you don't know if he will definitely double you up.

JJ is certainly playable if you have the right reads, but right now you have insufficient information, so there's really no harm in folding. You'll only lose your bb. There's really very little upside with a very big downside. Fold it. Calling is not sooo bad. Depending on the texture of the flop, I will make a nice bet, no probe, maybe 2000 into the 3k pot, if he calls that, i'm most likely, done with the hand.

If, instead, I had position. I'd probably flat call his raise and see a flop.

-mike