View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Re: what good does it do me to learn specific hands?

[ QUOTE ]
I have been looking at this forum for a while, and I understand that this forum has helped a lot of people out in their poker playing and strategy. I am just unsure of how learning what people do in specific hands in specific positions, etc... helps them. Even if they memorize exactly what the people who post tell them to do, how is this going to help them every time, in every situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we try to pick out the general concepts that apply in the specific situations that come up in a hand, and use them to determine the best action. It's the concepts and the process that matter most. But also, specific situations are rarely all that special; similar situations will come up again and again, so we can also generalize to some degree and thus apply what we learned by analyzing a specific hand in many similar situations.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I am curious as to how this forum is most beneficial to poker players. How does one get the most out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the sticky posts here and in the Micro and/or the Small Stakes forums. Read the linked threads in the favorite threads thread. Read other players' hand posts and try your hand at giving advice. Post hands you have trouble with. Basically, just participate and have fun. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]