Thread: semi-bluffs
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 07:39 AM

Default Re: semi-bluffs

I like to do it if I'm heads up with position on an early position raisor who I know does not need a "real hand" (pair or a draw) to continue betting.

I rarely do it with fewer than 12 outs unless I am certain he'll fold 2 overcards (or an underpair).

It's a better play if your draw is not obvious (meaning you have both actual outs and phantom outs).

If it sounds like I don't use this play often that's because I don't; at 10-20 and below its success rate is fairly low from my observation(s) - they just shake their heads and call.

At higher limits they've all seen it and used it themselves - here they shake their heads and raise. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The type of players it works best against are those you don't want to play against to begin with.

I'm not questioning the value of this play but the average player uses it far too often.

- I'm assuming you mean post-flop. Blind steals - and even alot of preflop raises with "real" hands - are actually semi-bluffs.

AK is a very good hand but if I raise with it first in I'm thrilled to see everyone fold; aren't you ?