View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Coming clean

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I wanted to add that I'm pretty sure the majority of my successful semi-bluff C/Rs have been folds on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
you say that you put him on a high [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]... if he has nothing but a high heart and he is capable of an iota of thought he is going to check behind you on the turn and take the free card.

by checking the turn, you allow him the choice to either value bet or take free cards with a draw, which is why in my second post in this thread i asked why would the guy with 88 check behind on the turn (he doesn't have a draw and he is probably ahead).

once he bets the turn in position after raising preflop and the flop, i really discount the chance that he has a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. the time he actually does have a good chance of having such a hand (or overcards w/o a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - a lot of players will raise with black AK on this flop) is when he checks behind on the turn. therefore, you won't be able to semi-bluff.

you say that you thought he called the check raise with a high heart, but i think you should pay more attention to why he bet the turn in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I KNEW I should have been clearer on that. When I said high heart I also meant a PAIR with a heart like I said in my other post. I really did think he had a pair and I really did think I could fold him on the river. When I saw the 88 with no heart I couldn't believe he called down.

I've posted a couple of hands like this (that I lost) in the last month or two and maybe you remember that and assume this play isn't working well for me. The thing is, I don't post all the ones where it DOES work. It works well enough that I'm actually very surprised at the times it doesn't work and those are the ones I post here to see if I was right that the majority of people would fold in those particular situations. If people fold only 20% of the time I'm still making money and they fold much more than that.