View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Why Two Dimes Data Is Wrong (Continued...)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But what twodimes does NOT do is translate how much MONEY those portions of pots are worth to you. This is because there is a fixed cost you must pay for the right to earn a portion of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
What you're talking about here is the concept of effective odds, which is applicable to straight high games as well as split games.

There is nothing in the nature of Omaha-8 that makes the twodimes data more "misleading" than it would be for a holdem problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not referring to effective odds.

I'm referring to the fact that in split pot games you don't get back all the money in put in to call. This is wholly unlike holdem.

ie. let's say its the turn. there are 6 big bets in the pot. you know your opponent has the high side locked up and will check down on the river. you can call 1 big bet for the chance to win low. The holdem, way of thinking would be to say, "I call 1 bet for the chance to win half the pot. the pot is 6, therefore half of 6 is 3. so I'm getting 3:1 pot odds. but that is incorrect. In a split pot game, you'd call that 1 bet making 7 bets in the pot. then you'd get half the pot back or 3.5 bets. then you subtract the 1 bet you put in for 2.5 bets. So you're true odds here are 2.5 to 1, not 3 to 1 as in holdem.

Try this problem out when its heads up on the flop with many bets to come and your opponent is freerolling and you'll see your return is very different than a holdem problem.

the difference is in holdem, if you win you get back the entire amount of money you put in to call. But not so in split pot.

This effect gets larger as more money goes in relative to the existing pot (ie. on earlier streets). This is what i'm referring to.

-g