View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Live Tournaments, when is it not worth while?

[ QUOTE ]
While I realize what you are saying, I feel that you should be able to beat these small buy-in, fast-paced tourneys before you move up to thye larger buy-ins (where a slower blind escalation might help a player of your style.)
A good player can always profit from bad players making mistakes. It's true that (when the blinds increase) you will have to risk your whole stack when you have only a small statistical edge (ie: 3 to 2; or 2 to 1) but there is an advantage to this that you are not recognizing.
If you are playing better starting hands than your opponents, you have an even larger advantage if you are all-in, since all-in bets guarantee that you will see all 5 (board) cards. This advantage is very significant and it works in YOUR favor! As a good player you will know the winning probabilities of most starting hands, and you can use your reads and pot-odds calculations to make better decisions. My advice to you is that these tourneys are easy to beat, but you have to give yourself a chance and realize that if you play enough of them, and make the right decisions you will bust-out a lot, but you will eventually have some good cashes that will more than make up for the inherent variance that comes with these tourneys.
Don't be so eager to move up to the bigger buy-in tourneys, where there is much more post-flop play. Whenever the buy-ins get above $500, you're going to be going against very good players that will read your tight style and exploit it. You're going to have to learn to mix-up your play if you want to move up. Use these $100 buy-in tourneys to get comfortable doing this and you will have an easier transition when you do move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

in a turbo tournament against bad players, skill is not much > luck

This is the "short term", and if you don't get hit with the deck you will blind out if all you see is rags, you don't have the luxury to play tight in these and you can't bluff bad players.

And as far as a linear increase in skill as a function of buy in amount as you infer, you have not played that many high buy in tourneys to see that the play is just as bad and in some cases worse than lower buy in tournaments.

have you seen the WSOP fields lately??? and I'm not speaking of the ME