View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: The Official XCOM Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Well, what I'm talking about is if they've been shot. Which happens to soldiers all the time of course.

[ QUOTE ]
If he has, then the combination of wounds and the smoke inhalation may knock him out, but it's still unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wounding alone can knock him out, that's the problem. The smoke isn't about knocking him out, it's about dropping his health much more quickly when he's knocked out. If you're racing to get to him with a medi-kit, your chances can drop significantly.

And any time a soldier has lowered health, it means more recovery time. Having a soldier do nothing but soak up salary hurts quite a bit, as does having to train up yet another guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The smoke doesn't make him get more wounded if he's shot. It gives him some 'stun' points. If stun > remaining hp he goes down. If he has some stun already when he gets shot he's more likely to go down because the shot could lower his remaining hp below the stun. The soldier still won't die until his hp goes below 0, just like if he was still standing.

I actually prefer my guys to go down when wounded. The aliens won't shoot at a guy thats down. So I can take a couple turns to kill the aliens before tending to the wounded. If the wounded man was still standing, the aliens might shoot him again and he'd die for sure.