View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Another online article re: PLO8

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the advice seems a little weird to me. Thoughts?

http://www.pokermafia.com/index.php?...id=6&id=40

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go a little farther and opine that some of the advice is flat-out wrong. In contrast to his unsupported assertion that the best PLO8 hands contain no pairs, according to PTO AA with a wheel card is an absolute EV powerhouse. Similarly A2XX and A3XX where XX is a big pair are monsters. In other words, in my experience, the best hands in PLO8 do contain pairs. Don't get me wrong, A236 is a great starting hand, but I will take A2KK over it any day.

He conveniently doesn't mention how one of the easiest ways to stack off an opponent is to flop an overfull v. trips/underfull and to bet out with it. Big sets that fill up or hold up make me a lot of money in PLO8.

In his section on playing high only hands, he recommends as "key" only four high card hands that DO NOT CONTAIN A PAIR. In other words, KKQQ and QQJT are not "key" high card hands, whatever that means. Apparently, the author does not value big full houses or big sets but loves big straight draws and top two pair hands. I can't understand his obsession with no-pair hands, and my PTO stats simply don't aggree with his assertions.