View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: A problem with some religous views

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think about a compass. Just as a compass can be made to read incorrectly due to local magnetic fields (minerals, etc.), so is the same with a person's moral compass if he or she is not focused on God.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it that so many mopral compasses of people and cultures which do not believe in your god appear to operate correctly? And so many moral compasses of those who do profess belief in your god, do not? In fact, it might be a hard sell to show any differences between the moral compasses of christians through history and those of non-christians. So much for that unfounded theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring specifically to one individual's feelings of right and wrong. The reason the "moral compasses" of various cultures who do not believe in God appear to operate correctly is because of absolute morality. It's an innate sense of right and wrong that God places in each one of us.

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, it might be a hard sell to show any differences between the moral compasses of christians through history and those of non-christians.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly my point. Right and wrong comes from God whether you believe in Him or not. In various individuals not focussed on Him (notice I did not say "not believing in Him"), right and wrong may become cloudy. For the most part, though, throughout history cultures have believed the same basic things to be right and the same basic things to be wrong.