View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: foxwoods dealer mistake - what to do?

You've already got good advice from Diablo, Randy and others but I'd add a few comments.

[ QUOTE ]
this is sort of related: the night before this hand happened i was laying in bed thinking how i have never once protected my hand (putting a chip or chip protector over it) and how neglecting to do so has never cost me a pot. i thought, if i lose just one big pot in my whole life because of not protecting my cards, then it's worth the hassle of never going to the effort of protecting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see where protecting your hand is hard. If you don't protect your hand you probably lose more than one pot and it could be huge. It also has another upside in that a good card protector covers most of the card and somewhat reduces the advantage an opponent would have if the card is marked. Barry Greenstein has a reference to the importance of this aspect of protection in his book.

Quick story I've sort of told before: GF/Hero routinely ignored my advice to protect her hand, especially in the seats next to the dealer. A few years ago she decides to call me on her cell just before flopping a straight in a 20/40 game at Commerce. She has a ton of chips in front of her blocking her view in the one seat and proceeds to put in massive action on all streets. She didn't see that her hand was scooped up after the flop - a reasonable mistake given the muck is about two inches from where she had her hand. From my cell I heard the whole mess and didn't feel sorry for her. She is still somewhat careless and I don't get it.

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't want to push two stacks of red chips in the middle in this hand, because i don't organize my chip stacks into even numbers that can easily be pushed. i just make a few big stacks of however many chips and keep stacking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought there is an obligation to keep stacks in even or discernible numbers in no limit. Not doing so slows down the game, as you will often be asked for a count anyway. For a winning player this has to be -EV.

[ QUOTE ]
anyway, it was a tough feeling to get screwed out of a pot by such an inept mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping you realize that it was mostly your mistakes but from the wording of this post I'm not sure.

~ Rick