View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Experiencing first big downswing...advice please.

I just been through the same thing after getting used to a nice winrate for months .. suddenly I just started dropping buyins left and right ... and ended up just like you by being either to carefull and making laydown I normally wouldn't or being to aggressive and blowing large chunks of money as a consequence of this ... I couldn't make my NL hold'em work no matter what I tried

After spending some time thinking about what was wrong, I realized, that I proberly simply gone stale ... gotten a bit bored ... and just lost the edge

So I just changed tracks ... started playing stud and stud8 (Low limit stud is awful at Party by the way, to high an ante for a biginning player) and also started to play FL Hold'em

Spendt some time on reading .. read a lot of stud material .. reread SSHE by Ed Miller .. basically took an interest in something new and while I moneywise had a dry month (didn't win much playing those FL games just a tiny bit over break even) ... but it did the trick

My NL game is now fresh again and working better than ever

Or else you can try playing SNG's instead of ringgames ... I did so at first, but allthough it is a change in enviroment, and I did good playing SNG, it did nothing for my ringgame. SNG's are NL Hold'em on drugs .. play tight for a while and then push push bully push and kill kill kill ... perhaps not the best way to relax you and get your mind back in the state of serenity that is needed for ringgames