View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Experiencing first big downswing...advice please.

In the year I've been playing 'competitive' poker I've been very fortunate to never drop more than 3 or 4 buy-ins for whatever level I'm at.

I'm currently playing NL $25 and have hit my first major downswing. I'm down over 10 buy-ins thus cutting my bankroll in half. The first 3 or so buy-ins where a product of some bad beats which I won't bore you with.

The real problem is that now after dropping a few more buy-ins I've noticed that I'm reacting to things by changing things that may prolong my swing.

For one, I started buying in short after dropping the 8th buy-in(buying in at $15 on a $25 table). This is likely bad as I'll never make up any ground should I hit some good hands and get paid off. However, I can't help but feel the need to protect what's left of my bankroll.

Two, I'm playing longer hours, hoping that between sqeaking out some wins and some decent rakeback I can get back on top of things.

Three, I'm second guessing myself. In spots where I'd make a smart move such as laying down top pair to a raise from a decent player. Instead I'm tellign myself "he doesn't have it" and try to bully with a reraise. It's like I've forgotten everything I've learned. I'm a noob all over again.

Four, I've tightened up considerably. I was (according to PT) a semi-loose aggressive/aggressive (27%/8%/3.50). It's a style I'm comfortable with and enjoy. I've noticed today that my stats have changed considerably. I'm now Tight Aggressive/Agressive (18%/6%/4.00).

So that's my situation. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.