View Single Post
Old 10-23-2004, 10:34 AM

Default Re: I am Very Angry

[ QUOTE ]
Why? Because almost none of the answers attempted to do any math. I asked several world class players this question. All of them ventured an opinion and then said "am I right?" Because they all realized that this was in fact mainly a math problem. That should be obvious because we are talking about a possible all in move and talking about eight random hands yet to act. All in= math problem. Random opposing hands= math problem.

The fact that this is a tournament or that you are the best player has only a tiny bearing on the correct decision. Basically you move in if the EV of your resultant stack is more than the $1100 you have now and not otherwise. What is relevant is that your opponents are not live ones. This means an all in move will be called by medium pairs and up, big aces and perhaps KQ or KJ suited. Later positions will call with a few more hands than early positions. At this point it is all math. Yet almost none of you tried to do this math. HOW DARE YOU? What makes you think that this question should be attempted by the seat of your pants? Were you just lazy? Or is it because you do not know how to do this relatively simple problem? If you don't, you better learn now because otherwise you are almost certainly destined to go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's a math problem, BUT, what if you look around the table and see some dude bouncing his leg, fiddling his chips checking and re-checking his cards, counting his stack...a player whose played zero hands and has always looked at his cards and then acted uninterested...now he's giving information that he has a huge hand.

I realize and believe me I do realize that poker is a math game. Ask my friends, I tell my wife that constantly. However, there are other things than math that can be important, particularly in No-Limit.

Just wanted to make that point.