View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Evaluating your life in terms of $$ / hr

I've just recently begun to do something rather peculiar:

I was always raised to be very cost-conscious >> clip coupons whenever possible, haggle for a better price, return an item and buy it elsewhere if you can find it for $10 less.

Which is why my newfound poker wealth is really F'ing with my head -- I was waiting for the bus in the rain the other day, when it dawned on me that I could really just take a taxi for $4 more...I was only going around 15 blocks, so something inside me told me that just hopping in a cab would be wasteful, but then I thought to myself: "hold on, since my poker earn rate is roughly $200 / hr, even if this taxi only saves me 10 minutes, the extra $4 will have been MORE than worth it, if it allows me to get in an extra 10 minutes (~$35) at the tables."

As much time as I spend playing, it's made me even more conscious of how valuable our very short time on this planet is. Paradoxical, of course, because I really don't want to spend the majority of it sitting in front of a computer screen. (I don't know where I was going with this post...I swear I had a point to make when I started it...oh well, guess i'll end it here, since it's already 'cost' me $35.)