View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 05:39 PM

Default I need to learn how to delegate (non poker)

I own and operate a small retail business. I do not consider myself a businessman or an entrepreneur. I am more of a storekeeper imo and that is all I want to be. I have been very successful with this approach for the past 15 years.

I do not only look at my business as a financial endeavor. I live in a small community and the way I operate my business has a direct effect on how the people that live here view me as a friend or neighbor.

So what is the problem?

In the last 3 years my sales have increased by over 30%. Nice problem to have most will say I am sure but it has caused more problems than you can imagine. Years of doing things the same way have made me rigid and unwilling to change my operating practices. Here a few of the things I am talking about.

1. I need more staff.

Easy just hire some right? Well that is easier said than done. I have a high standard and the position I need filled (cashier) attracts a very unskilled type of person. So I try to pay a high wage to try and get a better quality employee. This backfires as anyone skilled enough to earn this high of a wage can easily find a much more enjoyable and rewarding job elsewhere as there is lots of job opportunities here. So I end up will a bunch of over paid idiots or bunch of idiots stealing me blind every time I turn my back.

2. My level of service is dropping.

3. I am often understaffed which leads to my current staff and myself getting burned out.

Basically I feel an emotional attachment to my job is stopping me from making the smart choices when it comes to dealing with the changes I am currently facing. Any ideas you could share would be appreciated.