View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: The Official OOT Cookbook.

Flourless Chocolate Cake (from the TV show Americas Test Kitchen)

8 eggs
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 pound semisweet chocolate (The quality of chocolate you use will make or break this cake. I use Ghiradelli because it's the easiest to find, but I also like Callebaut and Scharffen Berger. Scharffen Berger has a strong flavor that you may or may not like, so taste it by itself first.)
1/4 cup of strong coffee or liqueur is optional; I don't use either

Preheat oven to 325*. Line the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease the sides. Cover the pan underneath and along the outsides with aluminum foil. Set the wrapped pan in a roasting pan.

Beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high until they double in volume, about 5 minutes.

Melt the chocolate and butter (and coffee or liqueur) in a double boiler. When all the chocolate is melted, pour it into the egg bowl about 25% at a time, and mix it in. If you pour it all in at once, you might cook the eggs and they would get scrambled, which is bad.

Pour the batter into the springform pan and smooth it out with a spatula. Pour some boiling water into the roasting pan so that it comes up to at least 1/3 of the way up the sides of the springform pan. Make sure the foil wrapping will prevent water from getting into the cake from the bottom.

Bake for 20-25 minutes if you have an 8-inch springform pan, and 18-20 minutes for a 9-inch pan. When you take it out, it will not look like it's done, but that's how it's supposed to look. Take it out of the roasting pan and let it cool. You could eat it now, but it's better if it refrigerates for a few hours or overnight.

When it's ready to serve, you can sprinkle some powdered suger over the top if you want it to look nice and fancy. Serve it with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

This cake is better than conventional cake with flour because flour really gets in the way of the chocolate flavor.