View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 08:28 AM

Default Re: The [0,1] game and poker

Well, I dunno. The problems that David poses are usually river problems, because those are the ones that he can solve.

Jerrod

I have posed several problems that were not river problems. I have posed several problems that I did not think I knew how to solve without some studying. I chose my problems based on what they could tell us about poker and how likely it seemed to me they would get answered on this forum.

I think that most people realize that he who can find simple logical solutions to problems that journeyman mathmeticians solve with more complex math (without realizing the existence of the simpler solution), would also likely come up with easier and faster solutions to the difficult problems that those same journeyman struggle with (if he ever chose to familiarize themselves with the subject). My father was better at calculus than at least 99.99% of Phd's. But in his Logic course he taught ingeniously simple ways to do these problems without calculus. I'm quite sure that all great mathmeticians and scientists have this capacity. Not something that can be gained merely by learning a bunch of glorified accounting techniques.