View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 09:48 AM

Default New PC time? Plus purchase suggestions.

I bought my PC Dec. 98, which was almost state of the art then. Pentium II 400 Mhz with 384 MB RAM. (384 MB RAM was a lot in 1998. I knew I was going to need more RAM then, and it's worked well. Until now!)

I have Windows 2000 Professional. I have 4 Party tables up (on "Realtime" priority) (playing 3 of them), PokerTracker autoimporting (on "Low" priority"), Gametime+ (on "Low" priority). Everything is fine, but once every 10 minutes or so, PokerTracker takes up 90+% of the CPU, and all my Party windows freeze for 10-30 seconds.

Usually control comes back before I time out any hands, but this week it's starting to cost me money. I had AJo, was folded pre-flop due to timeout, and 2 J's flopped. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I know it's time for a new PC. Just want to make sure it will help. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a big monitor with no overlap. I suppose there could be dual monitors down the line, so I will probably need the better graphics card. I like the idea of a refurbished PC, but these don't seem to have the better video cards as an option.

I know RAM is important now and in the future. Should I get 1, 2 or even 4 GB of RAM? (It looks like when building a system, upgrading from 512 to 1 GB is pretty inexpensive, under $100, but going to 2 or 4 GB is much more expensive...)

Any important improvements from XP Home, Standard, Media, or Professional?

I'm flexible on price, can easily spend $500-$800, but can go more if it will help a lot. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

-Tom