View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 07:19 PM

Default AK in 3-handed game: acting first pre-flop (title corrected)

Hi folks, I'm new so I'm still trying to get the hand-converter working correctly. Also been a pretty long day at the office.

Seat 3: opp 1 (2540)
Seat 8: opp 2 (3500)
Seat 9: myself (1960)
opp1 small blind, opp2 big blind

blinds are 150/300 in a 10 person NL game (20+2 on PP). There had been a tremendous amount of pushing pre-flop as well as both the button and SB folding to the BB (either ALL of it or none of it).

I picked up AK on the button. I had just doubled up a few times to get to a playable amount of chips. They way the game was going, I figured a move pre-flop may be a good move, to try to isolate one of them and hopefully knock out one or double up (depending on the caller).

I push , opp 1 folds immediately, opp 2 calls.

board comes:
Flop 8c 6c 4d
Turn Th
River 9h

I had Ac Kh, big stack had called with Ad 8s. I go out in 3rd place.

I guess not having more information about the flow of the game prior to this isn't helpful, but should I have possibly played it differently? A raise of 5x or 6x the BB basically puts me all in. A raise to 600 wouldn't be enough to scare out the BB. Raise it up to 900 = 50% of my stack which basically pot commits me. Even if I limp, if the SB folds and he checks, I'm betting the flop hard with no apparent draw out there.

I obviously want to play the pot, and it just didn't work out. Could I get some suggestions on some other ways I may have wanted to play this? Appreciate it guys, thanks!