View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Bad Players = Hard to Beat????

I recently encountered the same thing. A loose passive friend won a local charity tournament, so wanting to cash in on his new found poker confidence, we invited him to our regular cash game. Well...

The guy took 2 of my buy ins. Why? Because I was retarded... no, not retarded, more like hard headed. I knew I needed to tighten up, isolate the guy, and only value bet, but I was too hard headed.

In my own defense, the situation was a little more complex as the other players to my left were loose preflop and very weak thereafter, so I wanted to see a lot of flops and then push the others off if I smelled any weakness. It worked for the most part and I was picking up small pots left and right. The problem arose when the calling station guy refused to fold with J high or bottom pair, etc... so it usually ended up being 5 to the flop and 2 to the turn. But then, once I got it heads up, I was too hard headed to drop the chirade and kept betting into the guy ("God! Just freaking fold already!") and he kept calling and I kept losing my money.

The point is, most of us know how to beat a lot of different types of players. But it is having the discipline to do it that is key.