Thread: London
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: London

I agree that both war and terrorism result in the deaths of innocents and that this makes both abhorrent. But I really do feel as though it's the intentions of the attackers in these conflicts that make one barbaric and the other not. I feel there are just wars and barbaric wars, but that terrorism is always barbaric. One regrettably kills innocents and the other intentionally kills innocents. From your post, however, it seems that while this distinction matters to me, it doesn't matter to you. Does this make our views irreconcilible? What do you think?

On a completely different note, it was mentioned above that terrorism has causes and these causes can be removed. Inasmuch as terrorists claim the policies of certain nations are at the core of their, the terrorist's, actions, this is true. But I suspect an element of terrorist's motivation is thirst for power. The US and other western countries do not only encroach on their culture, but their ability to exert control over their own people. I feel that many terrorist groups are playing on political and religious themes for their personal pursuit of power, not the best interst of those they claim to represent. Thoughts?

I am very interested in these discussions. Thanks for a great thread guys,

Blue