View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Coming from another actuarial science student

I know how you feel, before I thought this would be a great career, but now the thought of working 9-5 makes me sick. I am a junior, an actuarial science, and economics major (finance minor). This is my junior year, and only 9 credit hours short of being done with the required courses for the actuarial science major. Recently I decided to go to grad school to get a Ph.D. in economics and become a college professor. I am still going to finish my degree in actuarial science even though I have no plans of entering the field. I am also going to take the first two exams. I am so close and have been working on it this long that it would be idiotic not to finish. That is the same boat you are in. Have you ever seen rounders? Remember the part where Mike goes bust and is driving the druck delivering stuff, and says that job is for rounders who forget the cardinal f'ing rule, leave yourself outs. Meaning some other way to make a living if it doesnt work out. You have been going to school for 15 years or so, and you want to quit 1.5 years before you get a degree is actuarial science? I know the classes suck and are all graduate level, but seriously man, you would be retarded to quit now. Even if you never use it and have a sucessful poker career it would be worth it to have "outs" or something to fall back on if things dont go according to plan. Your parents are paying for school too, you are such an ungreatful P.O.S. and I am only giving you advise because you shouldnt have to pay for mistakes you made as an ignorant college kid later in life.