View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Organized Religion as a Tradition

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a Richard Dawkins quote from that article. Once I started reading Dawkins, any tiny shred of theism within me was very quickly vanquished.

"Religious behaviour in bipedal apes occupies large quantities of time. It devours huge resources. A medieval cathedral consumed hundreds of man-centuries in its building. Sacred music and devotional paintings largely monopolised medieval and Renaissance talent. Thousands, perhaps millions, of people have died, often accepting torture first, for loyalty to one religion against a scarcely distinguishable alternative. Devout people have died for their gods, killed for them, fasted for them, endured whipping, undertaken a lifetime of celibacy, and sworn themselves to asocial silence for the sake of religion."

[/ QUOTE ]

Does Dawkins go on to give his opinion on why time is better spent in/with other endeavors? I caught a bit of a TV interview with him - and his main worry in general seems to be is "if something causes pain to someone". Is that his "Absolute"? And if so, does he say why he gives it such and esteemed place in his thinking?