View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 05:44 PM

Default A Sticky Stud Eight or Better Situation

Here's a nasty situation that I hate to find myself in when I play Stud 8.

Lets say on fifth street you have (K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Your opponent is showing 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] You check and your opponent bets. At this point your opponent's most likely hand is a made low, possibly with a freeroll for high.

(Lets not worry ourselves with how we got into this nasty situation by the way.)

Now, as the owner of the ugly-looking high hand, we would clearly call all the way, hoping to get half the pot back, if we were being offered pot odds of 1000 to 1. If we were being offered pot odds of 2 to 1, as in pot limit Stud/8, we'd clearly fold without much hesitation.

My question is - at what point does the pot get so big that you should call all the way with a one way hand, hoping not to get scooped? 10-1? 20-1? 100-1? Lets pretend we know nothing about the upcards and that our opponent has at least an inside straight draw to go with his low. I'm sure the exact number would vary depending on lots of different factors, but I'd like to get a general idea.

I found myself in this unpleasant situation twice after getting heads-up with a low draw last night. Both times I was getting about 10-1 from the pot, but I wasn't quite sure what to do.