View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: 7CSFAP - Starting Hands

[ QUOTE ]
The other thing that I'm not sure about is whether and how to play hands like 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Let's assume that 4s and As are fully live - if not, then I probably don't play.

What should I do with this hand if:
i. I'm first to act after the bring-in.
ii. I'm in the middle, after a couple of limpers.
iii. It's a full bet to me.
iv. After a Q completes and a K re-raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

i. If you're first to act, it completely depends on the board and the opponents, and how often hands are multi-way or heads up. There definitely isn't any one good rule, except that you definitely want to get this one heads up on 3rd or 4th. That is your immediate objective, so, based on what the game you're in is like, you want to do whatever you have to to get it heads up. One possible good policy: if there is only one face card (or zero) on the board, go ahead and raise and see what develops.

ii. If you're in the middle after a few limpers, it's a lot harder (in general) to get it heads up. There are too many variables to come up with a good rule... but you're usually going to fold.

iii. If it's a full bet from one card under an A, then this is the ideal situation to reraise to try to keep it heads up. The only time you don't do this is if you have two or more facecards left to act behind you--in this case, you may fold, unless you think you can get it heads up with strong play on 4th (so it depends on the opponents).

iv. Same principle as before--if you think you can get it heads up, go for it. If you've got a couple of loose opponents, though, the odds of getting them to lay down their big pairs is low enough that you'll probably end up getting the worst of it. This is usually a fold.