View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Median Best Holdem Starting Hand

I was repeating the "on the bubble" phrase introduced by a previous poster. In this context it's just another way of saying Median Best Hand.

Suppose you are heads up in a tournament and first to act. The blinds are getting big tending to be pot committing if you play. You are first to act. You look at your hand. Isn't this the first most natural question you're going to ask yourself. "Is my hand better than what I can expect his to be for Showdown purposes?" Now you know. If your hand is better than J5s in the rankings at that link, the answer is yes. How you use that information is up to you.

In fact, isn't this a natural question to ask every time you play a hand? "Is my hand better than what I can expect my opponents to have for purposes of the kind of tactics likely to be involved in playing it?"

Playing at a Full Table there are many instances where all the early position players Fold around to you. You know that the more latter position you are in, the lower your raising standards are when this happens. Most players go by feel in this situation. Wouldn't it be helpful to see exactly how the Median Best Hand of your remaining opponents weakens in this situation as your position varies? There are many opinions about what your raising requirments should be but by looking at a Median Best Hand Measure you can see something that is quantifiable and free from opinions. Of course there are other factors involved, but many of them can also be considered by looking at various hand ranking systems taylored for the extra factors.

PairTheBoard