View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Random police/detective question

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, well how long until inactive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna speculate that when it comes to a homicide the case will be active until ALL leads are exhuasted. Even if it's just one detective tying up loose ends. Once the loose ends are tied up I'm sure there will be an official report stating so and the case will probably go into an inactive status. It will wait there until someone with an interest in the case periodically reviews the file, or new evidence is found. Such as another murder with similar circumstances.

I'm sure certain cases cry out more than others. I've heard about detevtives who've kept the photo of a child or the investigation file on their desk to remind them not to give up.

Police departments probably don't tell people they're going to stop looking. They probably tell them something along the lines of the leads being exhausted and they await new evidence/leads.

Now, with all the above being said, I'm sure the tenacity of the local PD has alot to do with it. I once had key information about a homicide but no one came to talk to me.
When I phoned the police dept. the following conversation took place.

Operator: XXXXXXX PD
Me: Yeah I have information about the homicide that took place at XXXXX yesterday. Can I speak with a detective?
OP: Wha? Who are you?
Me: My name is russellmj.
Op: And what is it that you want?
Me: I have information about a homicide. Should I speak with a detective?
Op: (Smartalicky) What information do you have?
Me: I'm pretty sure I can identify the getaway car in the newspaper story.
OP: (Pissed) Look, we're very busy, we don't have time for this.
Me: What should I do with my information?
OP: Give me your name and number.

So I gave her my name and number. No one contacts me.

When I saw one of the suspects a week later I called the police and told them he was involved in the killing. About 40 minutes later two uniforms show up, ask the guy for ID and leave. Dude splits immediately following cops. Couple weeks later a detective shows up and wants to know where he can find said suspect. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] He hasn't been seen since.