Thread: Stu Ungar hands
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Stu Ungar hands

I remember flipping through that book at the store. There was one hand where he was playing Mansour Matloubi (the 1990 World Champion) heads up. Both started with $50,000 and it was a freezout.

At this point:

Ungar has : $60,000

Matloubi has : $40,000

I do not know what the blinds were but Ungar opens on the Button and Matloubi calls from the BB with 54o.

FLOP: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Matloubi checks, Ungar bets about 1/2 to 3/4 pot and Matloubi calls. Another possibly massive implied odds call like in the Theory of Poker example figuring he can double up if he hits a 6 and Ungar has something.

TURN: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Matloubi checks, Ungar checks.

RIVER: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Matloubi overbets the pot all in, figuring correctly that Ungar has nothing and can't call. Ungar thinks for a few seconds and says something like "It seems to me like you don't much of anything. I think you have 54 or 65, I'm going to call you with this hand."

Ungar calls and shows T9o. He called him with ten high!

Greatest call. Ever.