View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Extremely Successful Player Raises EVERY hand...

Thanks for the reply Guru, that helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am fairly new to the higher limits, so forgive me if my assumptions are just poker 101 [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I only win about 3 BB/100 right now and I am trying to increase it by adjusting to a more aggressive style at the higher limits.

Regarding my assumption about his being willing to play marginal hands like Qxs in late position, the raise actually helps him out a great deal in reading his opponents, yes?

Obviously it reduces the number of holdings, but it also allows him to get a much better read on his opponent for the particular hand.

For example, above a couple of people said they would call him with premium hands and bust him. But let's say you limped from EP with AK, and he raised 4BB on the button (you and 1 other limper in front), which knocked out the limper and the blinds, while you call.

At NL 5/10, this would put the pot at $115. Whereas if there had been 3 limpers and the BB, (SB folded), it would have only been $45 in the pot.

The flop comes J38 and you know the button might have anything, so pot betting without a decent hand out of position would be extremely difficult.

Say everyone checks and the turn is a blank, you and 2nd player check, the button pot bets. He might have something, might not, but you are much less likely to call the $115 than $45 on the turn with just ace high, correct?

Let's change the hands. Say you have KQs from MP. You know it is extremely likely he has Ax on the button, so you really can't call a bet on the river if you don't hit anything, correct? (He loves Ax on the button).

So his strategy clarifies his opponent's holdings, and clarifies their strength on any given flop. If you make a weak bet he is coming over the top, many times with nothing. I know because he loves showing his play.

One note about this though, he comes over the top with nothing much more often when his opponent is the one who raised preflop. If he raised preflop and his opponent called, and then his opponent raised on the flop, he gives them much more credit and does not try to be as tricky.

Hopefully my description does not make him sound like a wreckless LAG, he is far from it. Many times people don't give him credit for a hand and he doubles up.

He does not simply raise every chance he gets. Although he doesn't call much, he does check quite a bit, either to get more info or trying to hit something.

Also, knowing how frequently he raises, it also makes it more difficult for players to try and limp in front with marginal hands because they know there is a good chance of a raise.

Does any of this sound close? Am I on the right track? Any tips? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]