View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Official Hot Stove League Red Sox Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We will start the season with a sub-par bullpen, a mix of inexperience and washed-up ancientness, which may or may not be improved as the season progresses.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, now there's something to look forward to.

I am more optimistic than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I'm just a little jaded at this point, as it seems every year under the new ownership we have started with a pretty lousy bullpen. I'm starting to think that, despite their ability to build a fantastic lineup, the team knows nothing about relievers, and is just throwing a bunch of crap at the wall to see what sticks. Our best upgrade in recent years was Foulke, and he was just a case of paying the most for the best available guy. Even the inseason pickups have been hit or miss.

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming Foulke can pitch effectively next year, the bullpen will be upgraded automatically. Hansen could be a big help, as could Delcarmen with another year under his belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this. I would like to see a decent veteran arm w/o much injury history added, but so would every team. I admit, there's not much in the way of good relief out there.