View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: My 1452 post contribution (dissertation was in college)

[ QUOTE ]

I have recently taken up learning 6 Max. I am strictly single tabling. I normally average between 8K and 10K hands a month. This week I have played 156 hands of 1/2 6M. I am having 'eureka' moments as the curve is steep again, and the variance is crazy, but the lessons have been very valuable. Learn how to take notes. There are players you can value bet, there are players you can push off hands, there are players that you should rarely confront. The HUD's are great tools, and I use them, but there is so much more information out there for you to gleam.

[/ QUOTE ]

The advice you give to single-table is excellent. I too have started playing 1/2 6-max and after floundering for a few thousand hands, I've started single-tabling and working on reads. I'm also playing on a site that doesn't support HUDs, which makes reads/note taking a necessity.

I have to say, this is the most fun I've had playing poker in a long long time, and I'm not even running well. I've always relied mostly, but not exclusively, on the HUD to give me reads, but now that I'm paying more attention, my hand-reading skills are improving dramatically. There is nothing quite as satisfying as knowing you have your opponent beat and value betting the hell out of him.

The number one thing I've learned is that you can't make money at 6-max with default reads. Not only that, but it's a hell of a lot more fun to play your opponents as individuals. I'm not a math guy either, and I play poker mostly for the competition and 6-max rules in that department!