View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: The often-heard advice, \'don\'t miss college for poker!\'

[ QUOTE ]
today, I'm gonna go party with my friends, chill on the green, see an amazing guest speaker and enjoy the precious time that I have at such an amazing place.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very cliche' (especially the 'amazing guest speaker' part), but seriously think about it for a second.

I do all of those things too, but I also enjoy my hobby. Most of my friends have hobbies too. My girlfriend plays volleyball, one of my roommates is on the debate team, my other roommate spends a lot of his time at various volunteering/service/teaching pursuits, etc etc etc etc.

There's time to hang out on the green and see guest speakers, but there's also time to do something that personally makes you happy -- as an individual. What about people who play a musical instrument; do you think they're throwing away their college years if they're not in a band that performs at frat parties? The piano/cello/flute will also be there when you graduate.

It sounds like you're asserting that spending any solitary time on a hobby that you enjoy is a waste of college, and I think this is bad advice.