View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: At Party: January 2005 sign-ups, less than 30% still play there(+more

Great post HesseJam.

This is the most interesting statement and probably the most controversial, especially in this forum.
[ QUOTE ]
At the moment, the biggest negative factor to their profitability are the successful low-limit multitablers

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that the proliferation of successful multitablers is a detriment to the industry as a whole. They definitely take money out of the poker economy. Money which could have been used for advertising or even when just passed among the fish, makes the fish happy, making for a different more powerful kind of advertising: word of mouth. I also agree that it is not as much of a problem at the upper limits because the complexity of the competition requires more time in decision making thus inherently limiting tables.

I am not so sure though, that it is a negative factor in Party's profitability, if even at all. Also, while the growth rate of the industry was incredibly high I think it was a perfect method of seizing market share. Although successful multitablers are a detriment to the industry as a whole, if Party or any single site was to limit the tables played to one per player, the multitablers would simply become single tablers at multiple sites. Obviously this is unacceptable as far as Party is concerned. Thus, I don't think you will ever see the end of multitabling. However, I think you will soon see the end of the generic reload bonus, in exchange for the account specific bonuses targeted at players who are not making regular withdrawals from the site. Unfortunately, if there were any other way to "charge" the profitable players I am sure that it would also be considered.