View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Questions For Consistently Profitable Players

I would like to start out by saying I am pretty much a consistent loser at the poker tables and I am looking to improve my game. My basic "strategy" was simply to play top hands (Sklansky groups 1-5) and not raise on the more weaker hands in those groups. I would also fold early(after the flop) if there was nothing that improved my hand. Unfortunately, one of two things usually occured: I would either fold preflop or after the flop, so I would pay a lot of money in blinds and preflop calls or when I had a good hand with over a 50% chance of winning someone else would beat me by playing an awful preflop hand. I simply can't understand how consistent profit can be made by playing this game. To help me I would like to ask consistently profitable players a few questions. They are as follows:

(1) What percentage of flops do you play usually?

(2) What is the average drawdown from your beginning balance during the session you play?

(3) What is your average winning percentage of total hands dealt?

(4) What, in general, would you recommend to new players to help them better understand the complex nature of the game?

I appreciate greatly any help that you can provide. Thank you.