View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Q9o preflop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in this case to be honest, its either raise to iso, or fold PF, I just don't see much logic behind calling. Since the blinds are fairly tight, I'd raither raise this PF and take the initiave in this pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Initiative against a guy this passive isn't worth that much and increasing the size of the pot and decreasing the errors he makes postflop when I have a hand with little showdown value also doesn't seem worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not read through yet, but this caught my eye.

The guy VPIPs 60% of the time and still maintains almost a 1 for overall aggression.

I keep a lot of data points up on my HUD, including street by street aggression, raising percentage by street, folding percentage by street, and check raising percentage by street.

It has given me a different take on guys simaliar to this. Some of these guys fold frequently on the flop, others are habitual peelers... but are aggressive on the turn. I guess my point is that the overall aggro number on this guy is misleading, on some street he is doing something (for lack of a better term). Or to say it another way... he is most likely more aggressive than the "1" would lead you to believe. The rest of the stats I referenced would give you a clearer picture of what kind of guy you are dealing with.

The other thing that comes to mind, is that yes you probably do have an edge here.. you have position and a hand that probably is on par with most of his holdings. You can also probably assume a post flop edge (although probably not as great of one as his basic stats would indicate, no knock on you but some of these guys are not as heinous post flop as their VPIP/PFR stats would lead you to believe.)

However your edge is probably relatively slim, and easily eliminated by possible action behind you. Also probably easily erased by any mistakes you may make post-flop. In one of the Poker Essay volumes; Mason talks about hands that are either small winners or losers... this would seem to be one of them... I believe he advises getting away from them.

That said in my opinion it is kind of dependent upon your personal phiolosophy. In my opinion these situations feed variance, and really don't carry much "metagame" benefit. I might be giving up a bit by folding these situations, but I guess I kind of doubt it.