View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Minors at home games?

ive played at a very casual home game with a few friends.
One of them (who doesn't even play in the game) has a 12 year old son who they let play in the game. He's actually done extremely well. out of 4 games that we've played he's actually made money 3 of those games. One of them was an 8 person tourney that he came in 2nd in. At first I thought it was cute but it's increasingly made me a little uncomfortable too and NOT because he's winning, lol. The reason is he's a huge fish and has been extrememly lucky. The one game he lost money in he was very upset/sad. I realized that a 12 year old doesn't really have the emotional capacity to fully deal with the ups and downs of the game (which can be brutal even when your a fully grown adult). The idea of introducing a 12 year old to gambling has struck me lately like introducing him to tobacco. It's a decision he should make when he's truly old enough to make that decision. It's a bit of a tough call but I think you made the right one. Often standing up for what you think is right can be a lonely decision. Good luck to you.